Broskington Post

Broskington Post

Sunday, November 18, 2012

My Hype Train of Opinion 2: Picking a new system is kinda like voting.

He just got run over by a Warthog...

So last night I had a thought, picking a new video game system is like voting. Most of us have already made up our minds on the best system a year before we even see them. There is a reason for this, just like the political parties, we pick what fits our needs. I realize now, that I could not live without my PS3. I love my NFL Sunday Ticket, oversized Blu-Ray player, and Uncharted. So, when I first hear of the PS4, I will probably be all over it like Cartman's mom was all over the Denver Broncos.. Basically I have turned into a Sony slut. I had an Xbox 360 that I did love, because of the online service but I can live without that. I have found other features to be more important.

Same goes for handhelds, as much as I think the Vita looks cool, I will pick Nintendo every time. I cannot turn down handheld Mario and the rest of the first party games. The point is, the company's are not competing for experienced gamers, they are competing for the noobs. Just like campaigning for President, the old folks minds are made up. You have to convince the youth.

Now if you look at each system like a political party it goes something like this:
1. I believe the Playstation 3 is our Republican candidate. It is not extremely accessible, but it has a strong and determined fan base that will never turn on it. Also, Playstation is the older company that still is looking out for the best in gaming. It can be a turnoff for people that have never played the God of War series, but may not want to jump in on the 18th iteration. Sony fans will eat up everything put out though. Thus, there is massive love for there first party games and the characters that inhabit them.

2, Xbox is the democrat. The 360 tries to incorporate and appeal to everyone. Men, women, children, animals, ghosts... whatever, they all love an Xbox. Microsoft finds out what people may want and then tries to convince them that they do by producing the crap out of it. Just look at the Kinect. People wanted motion control that felt like they were totally in control and Microsoft delivered. They are always to give everyone something that they want. This has also been an issue. They lack first party games and their fan base is not as loyal as the PS3's they are much more likely to flip and make an educated opinion in what is best for their gaming. With that being said, they have a HUGE fan base and are generally loved.
Ugh.

3. Nintendo is our independent. Half the time I do not know who their audience really is (One minute it is kids, the next adults, and the seniors)  and what in the heck they are doing. Like Ron Paul, they will say and do a billion smart things, just to do something absolutely crazy. I love them for that.

Like I said, most people's minds are already made up.. Just like elections in the United States. Both sides have strong forces that are trying to pull the new players and the confused to their side. My advice, stop trying to appeal to everyone (looking at you motion controls) and stick with what ya know. Do what you have been doing for years, fix what us fanboys want, and the rest will fall into place.

No comments:

Post a Comment