Broskington Post

Broskington Post

Sunday, April 7, 2013

A Survivor is Born (And so is a New Series)

I want to preface this whole article by saying that I love adventure platforming games. They are just about my favorite genre of video games. I loved the original Tomb Raider games and Uncharted is just about my favorite game series. I feel like I should say that because I might be a little bias towards the new Tomb Raider. With that being said I will try and be honest with the parts I did not like, which are not many since Tomb Raider 2013 is..... AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The new Tomb Raider needs to be in serious contention for game of the year. Other than a few annoying glitches, there is next to nothing wrong with this game. Some people complained about issues in the plot, but I will debunk those shortly.

Lara Croft's new adventure starts out with a monsterous bang. Within five minutes she has been kidnapped and hung upside down awaiting her demise. Of course, Lara has other plans and escapes this early snafu on her way to becoming a bonified action hero. As Croft jumps and sneaks around the Island she will encounter some cranky wildlife, pissed off pirates, and other creatures you will have to play to see. At first, these enemies can take down Laura in a couple of hits but with the leveling system Crystal Dynamics put in, it does not take long for Lara to be a genuine bad ass. This leveling system is one of my favorite aspects of the game. Your character gets better as the games difficulty stays relatively the same. Sure, it might sound like it would get too easy, but what this really does is make your character feel like she is growing into a strong survivor and hero. It is fun to actually feel growth instead of just being told that it's there.

The story is good, not amazing, and it does not suffer from the plot holes that I have seen most reviewers complaining about. Most people have trouble believing that she could go from a regular female achaelogist to killing machine, but the reason for that change is all over the place. First, if you listen to some background dialogue, the captain of the ship says that he taught her how to shoot and survive. Also, the best and easiest reason for the change is just based on survival. If some Chilean soccer players can eat each other to survive, then Lara can cap a few asses. Seriously, if she already has the skill, and fears for her life, she will do what it takes to live. I have no problem with this section of the story or how it  played out.

Sexy..... and I'm not just talking about Lara.
The only real glitches I experienced all happened in one place. It was late in the game, your surrounded, and in a small room. You freak out, shoot, and the background disappears... really talk about a breathtaking moment completely fubarred/ The cherry on top is the lag I experienced shortly afterword. After dying, all was corrected but it was still a bit frustrating.

The ending (no spoilers, I'm good like that) is very similar to Uncharted 1. It ends with a boss battle that is almost completely quick time events, which I liked because it made me anxious and excited. What sold me though was literally the final image. It was iconic and if you have been a Lara fan like me since the beginning you will love it and take notice.

I wrote the first part of this review some time ago and looking back on my playthrough, I feel nothing has diminished or changed. This is still easily one of my favorite games of this generation, and a great way to bring a classic character back from the conceivable dead.

Boobs simply means it's the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment