Broskington Post

Broskington Post

Sunday, April 7, 2013

WiiU: The Underdog

The boys of Broskington are ready to bring y'all something big. No really, it's going to be awesome. So, in order to prepare for this awesomeness, I picked up a Wii U about three weeks ago. After some time looking at it's features and playing some games, I can honestly say that I think the system can not only survive but thrive in the next gen console war. Here is what Ninty needs to focus on going for.

1) Market how useful the 2nd screen actually is.


When Nintendo first showed the Wii U controller, they wanted us to know how innovative it was. They focused on the types of games it could be used for and less about it can actually do. I am going to explain how I use it and hopefully something relates to you, the audience. I am a gamer through and through. I want to be playing a lot more than I actually get to. Now some things cut my playtime down drastically but can not be changed (ex. work.) One thing the Wii U's controller has allowed me to work around is the issue of TV sharing. In my house it is hard to play games until late at night because I am having to share the TV in the evening. Let's face it, our girlfriends don't want to watch us continuously throw Mario off a giant mushroom. Luckily, the second screen allows the player to play and the viewer to watch so to speak. I noticed how awesome this was when I realized I had been playing Mario for an hour and no one complained I was hogging the TV. I now have more time to play and less time fighting over the remote. This feature works great in New Super Mario Brothers U and Black Ops. Both of these games are addicting time sinks and now I have even more time to sink into them. I love it!

Another unsung feature about the screen is it is the secret cure to split screens. Most games on the WiiU does not need split screen because if two people are playing, one is looking at the pad and the other is looking at the TV. It is a simple thing that is not thought about often but it makes a big difference.






2) Ease of Access and Backwards Compatibility


Nintendo makes their systems for everyone and while some see this as a bad thing, I think its great. I can now get folks that never play games with me to play. Sure, the Wii was set up for this as well, but the Wii U looks better, plays better, and is a shit-ton more fun. It is what the Wii needed to be. With games like Mario Kart and Mario Party, the couch co-op scene is alive, and sure is easier than ever to get someone to play with you.

The other part of that makes the system accessible is the fact that it has backwards compatibility. While other systems move away from it Nintendo stares it right in its old-ass face. I love the Backwards compatibility because it allows me to pick up the Wii games I missed and play them while I wait for The U's heavy hitters. An added bonus is that the Wii games look good. They did not take a hit from being on the newer system. We saw how ugly older gen games can look on the new gen systems with the 360.

3) Market and They Will Come


Nintendo of America needs to learn how to market their products. Stop trying to convince everyone that the Wii U GamePad is a gimmick and just show what you can actually use it for. If your everyday regular guy has the same problems I did, they would love the Wii U. Just show people what this thing can do and convince them that it will just make their gaming experience easier. Stop trying to be fancy pants about it and put your damn blue jeans on!

If Nintendo starts to sell their system, the 3rd party support will come back. Money drives the market. Duh. If it's profitable they will invest. Nintendo Fanboys need to stop blaming the developer and blame that joke of a marketing department in the Nintendo Headquarters. It's that simple.

Nintendo, I am talking to you. You can do this. You have the characters and titles to create a juggernaut, you just have to sell your systems. You created a system that everyone would like if you let them know that they would. Most people still think this is either a giant DS or another crappy gimmick. It's YOUR fault they are thinking this way. Put your big girl panties on and market the shit out of Wii U based on its usefulness and not your stupid controller fetish.

Love you,
BP

No comments:

Post a Comment