Broskington Post

Broskington Post

Thursday, April 5, 2012

This Week in History: 4/1-4/7

This week in history focuses on the death of an icon. On this day in 1994, Kurt Cobain committed suicide at his home in Seattle. There has always been controversy surrounding the event, but the fact remains a lot of people lost a musician they considered to be the voice of their generation. Kurt Cobain was a little ahead of my time. He did not have the same meaning to me as he might have to someone 5 or 10 years my senior. However, I do see his importance and wondered myself: Who is the voice in music of my generation? Let me go ahead and debate this while the trolls find a large bridge to unite under.

First, it is hard to really pick anyone as the music voice of my time, since it does not pay to be different. Just look at the artists of today. If you are not copying the Lady Gaga's or the Justin Bieber's of the world, you probably have a rather small following. Just look at Katy Perry and Nicki Minaj. Both are talented in my opinion. In Katy Perry's case she does not need all the gimmicks she pulls to be good. She has a strong voice when she uses it and does not drown it out with dance beats. In the case of Nicki Minaj, she underwhelms because she is trying too hard to get into the pop world. She had so much promise on songs like Kanye West's "Monster" but pissed it away to sing about "Starships". These two are not the only cases either, just look at Jessie J.
Preview of this year's Grammys?

seriously? WTF!








The point I am making is that if you are creative you will not receive the credit you deserve. Kurt Cobain did something different and was still popular. Bands like Fun., The Wombats, and Arcade Fire are popular but not nearly as marketable or insanely well known. I guess I am just frustrated in what Americans want from their musicians. This would not be an issue if people stopped buying total crap *COUGH* LMFAO *COUGH*.

Anyway, time to stop ranting and come up with a person who I think deserves a lot of credit for their musical ability. The artists that I narrowed my list down to are Kanye West and Jack White. In my opinion they are two people that just hear music differently. Kanye has created one of the greatest rap albums of all time in "Dark Twisted Fantasy". He also was brave enough to go completely out of his comfort zone in "808s". Jack White has worked on so many great projects, is a beast of a guitar player, and writes some amazing music. In the end, I chose Jack White. His work with the White Stripes will stand the test of time, The Raconteurs are one of the most solid rock bands to create music in the past 10 years and he has a solo album on the way that I am sure will not disappoint. Did I mention he also played the drums in the Dead Weather Project? He is just an unbelievable talent and if you have never taken the time to check out his work do it. Now.

So I leave this week's segment with a question. Who do you think is the most important musician of our time? Let me know in the comments section. Oh and if you trolls are forming an army, bring it on. I'm going to go all "Carolina Drama" on your ass.

1 comment: