Broskington Post

Broskington Post

Sunday, April 1, 2012

The Hoodie Problem

This week’s headlines have been all about the Trayvon Martin case. Please let allow me to fill you in, I realize you could have kept yourself busy by starting early preparations for the Mayan end of the world and locked yourself in a bomb shelter – I mean, who hasn’t?. Anyways, Trayvon Martin, a Florida teenager, was shot in his community of Sanford, Florida by a self-appointed neighborhood watch chief, George Zimmerman. Zimmerman, the suburban vigilante, called 911, and reported that he was following a young, suspicious looking man. From here on the facts get a bit cloudy and in the end the teenager was found dead. Zimmerman told police it was self defense and they instantly took him on his word. No arrest, drug charge, or anything. Since when do police get to choose who is guilty or innocent? With that logic I could go out and do what I want. Coincidentally, I could probably use some new car speakers. Maybe I’ll just bust in Best Buy and grab some. All I would have to do is tell the police that I left my wallet in there. Hell, if I was in Sanford they would probably help me carry it all out. The Sanford police were not the only ones that picked up a case of the stupid from this incident. Enter Geraldo Rivera. Last week, Rivera made a comment about the hoodie being the cause of Zimmerman’s violent act. His reasoning was, “I'll bet you money, if he didn't have that hoodie on, that nutty neighborhood watch guy wouldn't have responded in that violent and aggressive way." Now I have worn cotton’s greatest weapon, the hoodie, and never once had people ran away in fear from me. I also have never seen a young man in a hoodie and thought, “Maybe I should follow him and make sure he is not being a menace.” Honestly, I would feel more threatened by two guys dressed up like Kriss-Kross.
Turn those shirts around boys… You’re giving me the heebie-jeebies.

But in all seriousness this is an issue that bothers me to the extreme here in the United States. We seriously need to stop judging people by the color of their skin, clothing, piercings, tattoos, sexual preference and whether or not they like Nickelback. It’s just wrong. Rivera was trying to say not to give people the chance to see you as a threat for wearing a hoodie if you are a minority. The fact that it might have some validity makes it even more wrong. This country is based on a lot of personal freedom. That freedom should include the right to wear whatever the hell you want. Yes, even you Kriss-Kross (or you Gaga… unfortunately) Most of these low-income kids that Rivera was preaching to have so many issues as it is. One of them should never have to ask themselves, “What should I wear to keep people from wanting me killed or arrested?” There is no doubt; this whole case is a tragedy. The poor kid only had skittles and ice tea in his possession; he was never a threat. There is not one universe in which a teenager should be killed in the prime of their youth like this, and for it to be okay. If it turns out Zimmerman was acting in self defense it is a sad situation as well. He is doomed to a lonely life where most of America sees him as a killer. The way I feel about this case is not the part that I want you to remember. What we all need to think about is our habit of automatically judging someone based on superficial things. Take a step back, get to know the person, and then make your judgment call.

P.S. Geraldo Rivera, please go back to warfare play-by-play or exploring for mobster vaults that do not exist. Thank you.


Written By:A Horney Boy

No comments:

Post a Comment